Connect with us

News

Novak Djokovic: Australia travel declaration mistake a ‘human error’

Avatar

Published

on

Tennis star releases statement, with details on why he was not in isolation after testing positive for Covid in December, and saying his agent made a mistake in filling out his Australian travel declaration.

Tennis star Novak Djokovic has released a long statement, with details on why he was not in isolation after testing positive for Covid-19 in December, and saying his agent made a mistake in filling out his Australian travel declaration.

The statement on Wednesday came as Australia’s Immigration Minister Alex Hawke was considering whether to cancel the world no.1 tennis player’s visa ahead of the Australian Open, which starts on January17, amid controversy over whether he was eligible for a medical exemption from the country’s Covid-19 vaccine requirements.

“I want to emphasise that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations,” Djokovic said in a statement on his Instagram account.

Amid questions about his Australian Travel Declaration where he had to state whether he had travelled within 14 days of coming to Australia, he said his agent accidentally ticked the wrong box on the form.

“On the issue of my travel declaration, this was submitted by my support team on my behalf – as I told immigration officials on my arrival – and my agent sincerely apologies for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about my previous travel before coming to Australia,” Djokovic said.

READ MORE: Djokovic wins stunning victory in Australia visa case, his release ordered

On Tuesday, the tennis superstar trained at the Australian Open venue for his attempt to win a record 21st Grand Slam but his dream hung in the balance as the government pondered cancelling his visa again.

The world number one scored a surprise courtroom victory on Monday, overturning the Australian government’s decision to cancel his visa on Covid-19 vaccination grounds.

But the immigration minister said he may annul Djokovic’s visa once more.

The 34-year-old Serbian ace says he is determined to stay in Melbourne and compete in the Australian Open, which starts on January 17.

“I flew here to play at one of the most important events we have in front of the amazing fans,” Djokovic said on Instagram on Monday.

Wearing a t-shirt and shorts, he limbered up in a gym on Tuesday accompanied by coach Goran Ivanisevic before heading to centre court.

Television cameras filmed him from helicopters as he played.

Djokovic, a nine-time Australian Open champion, jetted into the country on January 5 carrying a medical exemption from vaccination due to a positive coronavirus test on December 16 last year.

After overnight questioning at Melbourne airport, border officials decided the exemption was not valid, cancelled his visa and transferred him to a detention centre pending deportation.

“I am not vaccinated,” Djokovic had told the border official, according to a transcript released by the court.

READ MORE: Court hears Djokovic’s bid to stay in Australia after visa furore

Djokovic denies allegations 

On Wednesday, Djokovic rejected “misinformation” over his public outings in Serbia despite a positive PCR test for Covid-19.

Djokovic described the allegations as “very hurtful” to his family and said on Instagram that he only learned of the December 16 test result the following day, after attending a youth tennis event.

Following the border saga on Australia’s immigration office said the world class tennis player’s lawyers have submitted further documents on his visa that will “affect time frame for decision.”

In response to tapes of being in Spain in the first week of January, Djokovic said his support team “apologises” for the administrative mistake in ticking the incorrect box about his travel history before arriving in Australia.

READ MORE: Novak Djokovic prepares vaccine exemption case in Australia

All eyes on Australia minister 

Doubts emerged on Tuesday over the accuracy of Djokovic’s visa declaration, reportedly filled out before he flew in from Spain.

A copy of his declaration showed a tick in the box to confirm he had not and would not travel in the 14 days before landing in Australia on January 5.

There appears to be evidence he then travelled from Belgrade to Spain for the New Year period.

Djokovic was pictured in Belgrade on December 25, with Serbian handball player Petar Djordjic. The photograph appeared on Djordjic’s Instagram page.

Then, three days before arriving in Australia, Djokovic was pictured by local newspaper Diario Sur playing at the Puente Romano club in Marbella, where he was staying in a villa.

A spokesman for Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke said he was “considering whether to cancel Mr. Djokovic’s visa” by using his ministerial powers. But he would not comment further for legal reasons.

READ MORE: Tennis star Djokovic’s detention in Australia enrages Serbs

Source: TRTWorld and agencies

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

COVID 19

England lifts COVID-19 pandemic restriction-Omicron marks end of the pandemic.

MNN

Published

on

By

England has lifted its restrictions implemented in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Speaking at a press conference at Downing Street, Health Secretary Sajid Javad stated that the England will be lifting the restrictions implemented in wake of the COVID-19 pandemic but the legal requirement to self-isolate if tested positive for the virus will continue.

While Health Secretary Sajid Javad stated that it was a major milestone, he also stated that “It’s not the end of the road and we shouldn’t see this as the finish line because we cannot eradicate this virus and its future variants. Instead we must learn to live with Covid in the same way we have to live with flu”.

This has also meant that the work-from-home guidance would be ending with the majority of the nation’s workforce reverting to pre-pandemic work schedules. Additionally, students will also be no longer required to wear masks at schools.

Moreover, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has also confirmed that the Government plans to end the legal requirement for positive cases to isolate by late March, but may move the date forward.

The U.S. has also hinted that the pandemic may be heading towards an end. Chief Medical Advisor to the President of the United States, Dr. Anthony Fauci has stated that the Omicron variant may mark the end of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

Local

New Japanese Ambassador Takeuchi Midori presents her credentials to President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.

MNN

Published

on

By

The new Japanese ambassador to the Maldives, Takeuchi Midori has presented her credentials to President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.

Ambassador Takeuchi Midori presented her credentials to President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih at a special ceremony held earlier today at the President’s Office.

Speaking at the ceremony President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih noted on the Ambassador Takeuchi Midori’s predecessor Keiko Yanai’s work in enhancing bilateral relations between the two nations. President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih expressed hope in continuing to further strengthen the bilateral relations between the two nations under Ambassador Takeuchi Midori tenure.

Ambassador Takeuchi Midori also spoke at the ceremony, noting that this year marks the 55th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between the Maldives and Japan. She expressed hope that the two nations would work together on regional and global issues.

Continue Reading

News

China’s homemade C919 passenger plane to be delivered this year

Avatar

Published

on

By

China’s self-developed C919 large passenger aircraft will be delivered within this year, The Paper reported on Wednesday, citing its developer.

Wu Yongliang, deputy general manager of the Shanghai-based Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC), said the pandemic’s impact on the C919 project has been controllable, and the work is progressing in an orderly manner.

American aerospace manufacturer Boeing and France-based Airbus have long been the so-called duopoly in the commercial airline market worth trillions of U.S. dollars.

The C919, as part of China’s goal to develop homemade civil airplanes, is trying to rival with medium-range aircraft from the two global giants, such as Airbus’s A320 and Boeing’s 737 MAX.

C919 has 158 to 168 seats, a standard range of 4,075 kilometers and a maximum range of 5,555 kilometers. It had its successful maiden flight in 2017.

China Eastern Airlines, one of the country’s largest airlines also headquartered in Shanghai, signed a contract to buy five C919 jetliners from COMAC in March 2021.

Continue Reading

Trending