Connect with us

Local

More charges could be pressed in relation to May 6 attack

Avatar

Published

on

Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO) has stated more charges could be pressed in relation to the terrorist attack against Speaker of Parliament Mohamed Nasheed on May 6, 2021, depending on the evidence produced during the investigation.

In a statement released regarding the prosecution of the suspected perpetrators of the May 6 attack, the PGO said the investigation and prosecution of the nine individuals that were charged in relation to the attack were carried out within the timeframe and procedures described by law. As such, the PGO noted acquisition and analysis of evidence and preparation of charge sheets were carried out in a collaborated effort between the investigation team of Maldives Police Service (MPS) and the state prosecutors. The PGO noted all available resources were utilised to ensure strong cases were produced against the suspects, adding technical assistance had been provided by countries such as the US, UK and Australia.

In its statement, the PGO noted one of the key suspects of the attack, Ahmed Adhuham Rasheed, had confessed to his crimes during the trial and is currently serving his sentence. The PGO noted the confession was not coerced, as verified by both the PGO and the Criminal Court in accordance to the Criminal Procedures Act. The PGO added sufficient evidence had been collected against Adhuham to ensure the charges would have been proven in court even if he did not confess.

In relation to concerns that wider links to the attack including possible funding sources from outside the current circle of suspects have not been identified, the PGO stated there is no legal obstruction to charge more individuals in relation to the attack if the required evidence is collected. As such, the PGO said more people could still be charged depending on the evidence produced.

Speaker Nasheed was severely injured after an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attached to a motorcycle was triggered while he was getting in his car on the night of May 6 last year. The attack left Nasheed with serious injuries, requiring multiple life-saving surgeries at ADK Hospital in Male’ and additional medical treatment in Germany and the UK.

A total of nine people were charged in relation to the attack, but only Ahmed Adhuham Rasheed has received a sentence so far. The trials of the remaining eight suspects are still ongoing.

 

Source: psmnews

Local

Indian police arrest Kashmiris protesting against Malik’s sentencing

Avatar

Published

on

By

At least 10 youths were arrested for protesting against a court’s decision to sentence Mohammed Yasin Malik, a prominent Kashmiri pro-independence leader, to life in prison.

Police in India-administered Kashmir have arrested at least 10 people during overnight raids following an anti-India protest that erupted as a court sentenced a prominent Kashmiri pro-independence leader to life in prison.

Thursday’s protest was followed by a clash between dozens of youths and government forces that broke out after the sentencing on Wednesday of Mohammed Yasin Malik.

Malik, 56, is the chief of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), which advocates independence on both sides of Kashmir.

Malik was arrested in 2019 and was convicted last week on charges of committing “terrorist acts”, illegally raising funds, and criminal conspiracy and sedition.

The youths were arrested for “anti-national sloganeering & stone pelting outside home of Yasin Malik,” police wrote in a tweet. They said more people were being identified and would be arrested soon.

Police also tweeted a picture of the arrested standing in a row holding their ears with both hands, in an act that is seen as a form of public humiliation and a way of expressing remorse.

READ MORE: India jails Kashmir independence leader for life in ‘terror funding’ case

Growing tensions

Making Kashmiri residents hold their earlobes or do sit-ups on the roadside was common in the 1990s, when Indian government forces sought to humiliate people and dissuade them from supporting armed rebels fighting Indian rule in the Himalayan territory.

However, in recent years such practices have largely stopped as a form of punishment.

“The main instigators of this hooliganism will be booked under PSA,” the police tweet said, referring to the Public Safety Act, a harsh law that allows officials to imprison anyone for up to two years without trial.

Muslim-majority Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since British colonialists granted it independence in 1947.

Both countries claim the region in its entirety and have fought two wars over its control.

READ MORE: Pakistan says India implementing ‘racist policy’ in Kashmir

Source: TRT World 

Continue Reading

Local

President presents warrants of appointment to new Scout Council members

Avatar

Published

on

By

President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has met with the members of the Scout Association of the Maldives and presented the Warrant of Appointment to the newly appointed members of the National Scout Council. The meeting was held at the President’s Office.

After presenting the credentials to the new members, President Solih congratulated them and inquired about their plans to further the scout movement in the Maldives. The members briefed the president on their programmes and shared concerns that curtail their activities. They also informed the president of the details of the scout jamboree planned for the year.

The president assured the association members that the administration would take the necessary steps to address their concerns and affirmed his commitment to support the movement.

Source: psmnews

Continue Reading

Local

MSWC carrying out highest number of projects this year

Avatar

Published

on

By

Managing Director Hassan Shah has revealed the Male’ Water and Sewerage Company Limited (MWSC) is carrying out the highest number of water and sewerage projects this year.

Speaking at the ceremony held to celebrate the 27th anniversary of MWSC, Managing Director Shah said that the company is carrying out 31 water and sewerage projects this year, including projects that began last year. He said that four projects have been completed and 20 projects will be completed this year.

Furthermore, Managing Director Shah highlighted that MWSC was established 27 years ago to provide services in Male’ City but that it has expanded to the Greater Male’ Region and the atolls due to the hard work of its employees. As such, he said that 2022 will be the year MSWC carried out the highest number of water and sewerage projects.

Additionally, Shah said that MWSC was successful in providing its services despite the challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. He also described the current situation in Male’ and said that the water storage system in the city needs to be expanded. He noted the government allocated a land plot for the project in 2020 and said MWSC is now working to establish two containers with 13,000cbm of water storage capacity. He added that MWSC is working to solve the overloading issues in the sewerage network in Male’ and also replace the 10-year-old water metres.

The government has been working to establish water and sewerage networks in all inhabited islands by 2024 to fulfill the pledge made by President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.

 

Source: psmnews

Continue Reading

Trending