The European Champions League is set to see an increase of four teams to 36 and the present group stage replaced by one single league from the 2024/25 season.
The UEFA said on Tuesday the revamp of European football’s premier club competition will see each team play eight league games — four home and four away — as opposed to six in the group stage.
The top eight sides in the league will qualify automatically for the knockout stage, while the teams finishing in ninth to 24th place will compete in a two-legged play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the competition.
“We are convinced that the format chosen strikes the right balance and that it will improve the competitive balance and generate solid revenues that can be distributed to clubs, leagues and into grassroots football across our continent,” said UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin.
Ceferin and the UEFA will be hoping the reforms — passed unanimously by their executive board — will kill off once and for all any thought of the rebel Super League making a reappearance.
⚽ The #UEFAExCo has approved the final format and access list for UEFA club competitions from the 2024/25 season.
✅ No more access granted based on club coefficients.
✅ Eight matches instead of ten in the new league phase.
— UEFA (@UEFA) May 10, 2022
Twelve of Europe’s biggest clubs signed up to the proposed new competition last April but it collapsed within days following a fierce backlash from their own players and fans, as well as governments and football’s governing bodies.
Nine clubs distanced themselves from the project but Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus remain on board with the concept.
The UEFA had stepped back after consulting with various parties — including supporters — from having 10 league matches and allocating two of the four new places to teams based on club coefficient.
The four places will go to the club ranked third in the championship of the association in fifth position in the UEFA national association ranking.
Another will be awarded to a domestic champion by extending from four to five the number of clubs qualifying via the so-called ‘Champions Path’.
The final two places will go to the associations with the best collective performance by their clubs in the previous season (total number of points obtained divided by the number of participating clubs).
Those two associations if it had been judged on this season based on the collective performance of their clubs would be England and the Netherlands.
The UEFA executive committee also announced the 2024 European Championship (Euro) final will be held at Berlin’s Olympiastadion and the opening match will be at Bayern Munich’s stadium.
The 24-team tournament will open on June 14 and the final is on July 14. Matches will be played in Germany in three clusters of venues with groups split between only two of them.
🗓️ The @EURO2024 match schedule has been finalised.
🇩🇪 14 June: Fussball Arena in Munich to host opening match.
🏟️ 14 July: Olympiastadion Berlin to stage final.
Matches in each #EURO2024 group will also reduce travel distances for teams and fans between the host cities.
— UEFA (@UEFA) May 10, 2022
President acknowledges achievements by Tennis Association
President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has highlighted the exceptional talent of the junior tennis team, noting their numerous achievements. He made the remarks at a meeting held at the President’s Office with the members of the Tennis Association of the Maldives (TAM) and the junior tennis team.
Speaking at the meeting, President Solih encouraged the tennis players to continue in their sport and applauded their sportsmanship. He also acknowledged the role of their parents and extended his gratitude for their support.
At the meeting, the members of TAM shared their concerns with the president and briefed him on the actions taken to resolve them immediately. The president said that the administration would take measures to address their concerns.
Djokovic eases into French Open third round with victory over Molcan
The 35-year-old Djokovic cruised through the opening two sets, breaking Molcan’s serve three times without giving the Slovakian a single opportunity on his own delivery.
World number one Novak Djokovic has completed a solid 6-2 6-3 7-6(4) victory over Slovakia’s Alex Molcan in the second round of the French Open to keep his title defence and quest for a record-equalling 21st Grand Slam on track.
With Djokovic unable to defend his Australian Open title due to his refusal to be vaccinated against Covid-19, Spaniard Rafa Nadal broke a three-way tie for the most Grand Slam titles with the Serb and Roger Federer by winning the Melbourne Park major at the start of the year.
Yet a successful rerun of his 2021 Roland Garros campaign, when he beat 13-time French Open winner Nadal in the semi-finals, will lift Djokovic alongside his great rival.
On a blustery day on Court Suzanne Lenglen, the 35-year-old Djokovic cruised through the opening two sets, breaking Molcan’s serve three times without giving the Slovakian a single opportunity on his own delivery.
The 24-year-old Molcan, trained by Djokovic’s former long-time coach Marian Vajda, was ranked 255th when he went down in straight sets to Djokovic in their only previous meeting in Belgrade last May but since then the left-hander has climbed to a career-high ranking of 38th.
“Difficult match with a lot of winds”
With nothing to lose, Molcan opened up his shoulders in the third set and with some aggressive all-court hitting managed to cancel out Djokovic’s early advantage to force a tiebreak.
But Djokovic then managed to go up a gear and converted his second matchpoint when the left-hander found the net with a return.
“It was a difficult match with a lot of winds, changing direction,” he said on court. “You have to be fully focused.
“I have a lot of respect for Alex. He’s got a game that’s made for this surface. I hope it’s the last time I play against Marian Vajda as coach of my opponent.”
The top seed will next meet Slovenia’s former world number 43 Aljaz Bedene for a place in the fourth round.
Premier League approves Chelsea takeover by Boehly group
The deal is yet to be signed off by the British government before it can be completed.
The Premier League board has announced it had approved Todd Boehly’s proposed takeover of Chelsea from Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich who was sanctioned by the British government.
A Premier League statement said on Tuesday: “The Premier League Board has today approved the proposed takeover of Chelsea Football Club by the Todd Boehly/Clearlake Consortium.”
“The purchase remains subject to the British Government issuing the required sale licence and the satisfactory completion of the final stages of the transaction.”
A consortium led by Boehly, a co-owner of baseball’s Los Angeles Dodgers, had already agreed a $5.3 billion deal to buy the Premier League club from owner Abramovich on May 7.
Russian billionaire Abramovich put Chelsea on the market in early March, just before he was sanctioned by the British government following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
But earlier on Tuesday, a spokesman for Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed the government were working with the club over the deal.
“We are working closely with Chelsea to progress the sale,” the spokesman said.
“We are holding intense discussions with the relevant international partners to get the necessary approvals and we will set out further details as soon as we can.”
The deal has dragged out as the British government makes sure that Abramovich, who was sanctioned over his links to Russian President Vladimir Putin, does not profit from the enforced sale of the club.
Chelsea has been operating under a government license since Abramovich’s assets were frozen in March and it expires on May 31.
Source: TRT World
China’s space observation ship departs for 100th mission
UN Security Council fails to adopt resolution on DPRK sanctions
Chinese experts caution against over-disinfection for COVID-19
Biden to mark second anniversary of the murder of George Floyd
Indian police arrest Kashmiris protesting against Malik’s sentencing
President presents warrants of appointment to new Scout Council members
G7 countries pledge to end fossil-fuel financing abroad
Elections Commission grants approval to form Maldives Solidarity Party.
Parliament’s 06th May Terror Attack Report Highlights Defence Minister Mariya Ali Didi’s Negligence.
President Abdulla Yameen officially calls for the removal of Indian military personnel in the Maldives.
Leaked documents show India refused to withdraw military personnel and helicopters from the Maldives even after their Visa’s expired.
Opposition invites all ruling coalition partners to join campaign to secure independence of the Maldives.
Former President Mohamed Nasheed revokes support for the current administration in an open letter.
COVID-19: Racism, Blame Shifting and Politicizing a Pandemic.
News6 days ago
Journalism: Drifting Dangerously
Tech4 days ago
How close is China to getting an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine ready?
Business4 days ago
Economic Watch: China’s mushrooming high-tech industries create demand for talents
Travel & Culture4 days ago
MMPRC participates in Riyadh Travel Fair
News3 days ago
Wang Yi Met with UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet
Travel & Culture3 days ago
MMPRC kicks off roadshows targeting the Middle East market
News4 days ago
Pakistan’s Imran Khan calls for march on Islamabad to press early polls
Business4 days ago
Hyundai to build $5.5B electric vehicle plant in US