Connect with us

Sports

West’s hypocrisy can’t take shine off World Cup

FI

Published

on

FIFA President Gianni Infantino was spot on when he slammed Western countries of “hypocrisy” for trying to give “moral lessons” to other nations.

A Swiss Italian, Infantino said on Saturday that “for what we Europeans have been doing around the world in the last 3,000 years, we should be apologizing for the next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons to people”.

He was responding to the criticism by Western media about human rights in Qatar, host of the 2022 World Cup, such as the treatment of migrant workers and the LGBT community.

FIFA warned several European teams that their captains would face yellow cards if they wear the OneLove armbands in a bid to raise LGBT awareness during the matches.

French President Emmanuel Macron pointed out last week that sport should not be politicized, referring to his plan to go to Qatar if the French national team, the defending champion, reaches the semifinals.

However, France politicized sport when it called for Russia to be banned from the World Cup qualifying games days after the outbreak of the Russia-Ukraine conflict in February.

When the International Olympic Committee then urged that Russia be banned from participating in international sports events, many international sports federations quickly followed suit. But IOC President Thomas Bach said last month that Russian athletes could be allowed back to compete at Olympic Games as long as they don’t support the war in Ukraine.

Punishing athletes for the actions of their governments will do nothing to help end the conflict. On the contrary, sports have the magic power of bringing different people together. Engaging more Russian athletes could contribute to finding a solution to the conflict.

The fact that people all over the world, regardless of their political and religious beliefs, are enjoying watching World Cup shows that sports transcend politics. People cheer teams and players they support and others for their good performances.

People have the right to express their concerns about human rights issues, but they have to pick the right time and right place, and those are not a sports event.

Certain sports such as snooker, golf and tennis even require spectators to remain silent. No one wants a soccer match to be spoiled by protesters shouting slogans.

When the World Cup kicked off on Sunday, BBC chose not to broadcast the opening ceremony and instead spent the time talking about human rights abuses in Qatar.

That reflects the hypocrisy Infantino pointed out.

The BBC did not boycott the opening ceremony of the London Olympics in 2012, which took place a month after Julian Assange was forced to seek asylum in Ecuador’s embassy in London due to extradition concerns, or the opening ceremony of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in Utah in 2002, which was held months after the US invasion of Afghanistan.

In its 2021 report, the Amnesty International cited human concerns in France from racial profiling to migrants’ rights. The Human Rights Watch cited in its report the US human rights violations from racial injustice and the world’s highest criminal incarceration rates to women’s health rights and the rights of non-citizens.

Since they spent so much time nitpicking the alcohol ban during the World Cup matches, there will be plenty for Western media to point their fingers at these Olympic Games. But we all know they won’t.

The author is chief of China Daily EU Bureau based in Brussels. chenweihua@chinadaily.com.cn

Source(s): China Daily.

Sports

Dortmund stuns Atletico in dramatic Champions League quarters

FI

Published

on

By

BERLIN, April 16 (Xinhua) — Borussia Dortmund turned around a 2-1 first-leg defeat by clinching a hard-earned 4-2 victory over resilient Atletico Madrid in the second leg on home soil on Tuesday.

Dortmund advanced 5-4 on aggregate into the Champions League semifinals.

The BVB immediately went in search of the goal and came close with just three minutes gone when Marcel Sabitzer’s shot from inside the box was blocked by defender Cesar Azpilicueta in the last nick of time.

Two minutes later, Atletico had the golden chance to extend the aggregate lead, but Alvaro Morata pulled wide with only Dortmund goalkeeper Gregor Kobel to beat.

Dortmund controlled possession though and got rewarded for their efforts at the half-hour mark when Mats Hummel’s defence-splitting through the ball allowed Julian Brandt to fire past Madrid custodian Jan Oblak from a tight angle.

The hosts gained momentum and doubled the lead in the 39th minute as Sabizter teed up for Ian Maatsen, who slotted home from a sharp angle into the far post bottom corner.

After the restart, Los Colchoneros came out with their guns blazing and restored parity on aggregate with the great assistance of Dortmund veteran Mats Hummels, who accidentally cleared Mario Hermoso’s dangerous header into the wrong goal.

Things went from bad to worse for Dortmund as Atletico increased the pressure before retaking the aggregate lead with 69 minutes gone as Dortmund’s defense couldn’t clear the ball from the area, allowing Angel Correa to hammer the ball into the roof of the net, making it 2-2 on the scoreboards.

Dortmund was flabbergasted but bounced back with two goals in quick succession. First, Niclas Fullkrug made it 3-2 on the scoreboards in the 71st minute after heading home Sabitzer’s pinpoint cross before the Austrian international got his name on the scoreboards as well after unleashing a hammer past Oblak two minutes later.

Atletico opened up and pressed frenetically for a goal, but Dortmund’s defense stood firm to claim the team’s first semi-final since 2013. The BVB will encounter Paris Saint-Germain in the next round.

“I am really happy and proud of the boys. We were the better and more active team today. That is why we deserved to advance into the next round,” said Dortmund coach Edin Terzic.

“We had the chance to draw the game and go ahead in the tie but, when you don’t take advantage of your chances, this happens, even more so in the Champions League,” commented Atletico captain Koke.

Source(s): Xinhua

Continue Reading

Sports

Macron says Plan B, Plan C possible for Paris Olympics opening ceremony

FI

Published

on

By

French President Macron revealed contingency plans for the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on the River Seine due to potential security risks, including the possibility of relocating to the Stade de France.

PARIS, April 15 (Xinhua) — The organizers have prepared alternatives to staging the highly-anticipated Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on the River Seine if there are excessive security risks, French president Emmanuel Macron admitted on Monday.

As the countdown to the Olympics reaches the critical 100-day mark, Macron spoke to French broadcasters RMC and BFM TV inside the Grand Palais. While he reiterated his confidence in successfully hosting the ceremony on the Seine, he also acknowledged that alternative plans were under consideration due to potential security challenges.

“If we think there are security risks we’ll have Plan Bs, and even Plan Cs,” he said. “We are preparing them in parallel. We will do an analysis in real time. We have a ceremony which would be limited to the Trocadero and which would therefore not cover the entire Seine.”

Macron also mentioned the possibility of relocating the ceremony to the Stade de France.

“This is what is traditionally done,” he added.

Hosting the opening ceremony in the open urban space was a highly imaginative move by the Paris organizing committee and the local government.

According to the current plan, about 10,500 athletes are expected to travel approximately six kilometers from east to west along the Seine, disembarking near the Eiffel Tower at Trocadero Square for the celebration. An estimated 300,000 spectators are anticipated to watch the event live from both sides of the river.

However, security has been a significant concern from the outset of planning. The increasing risk of potential terrorist attacks is a critical consideration for both the organizing committee and the French government.

The Olympic flame for the Paris Games will be lit on April 16 in ancient Olympia, Greece. April 17 will mark the 100-day countdown to the opening of the Paris Olympics.

The Paris Olympics will take place between July 26 and August 11, followed by the Paris Paralympics from August 28 to September 8.

Source(s): Xinhua

Continue Reading

Sports

Xavi’s magic substitutions lead Barcelona to victory in thrilling encounter with PSG

FI

Published

on

By

PARIS, April 10 (Xinhua) — Barcelona’s manager, Xavi Hernandez, showcased his tactical genius by making two substitutions that led directly to goals, propelling his team to a thrilling 3-2 victory over Paris Saint-Germain in the first leg of the Champions League quarterfinals on Wednesday.

The game was an emotional rollercoaster, with Barcelona initially taking the lead, only to fall behind, and then executing a stunning comeback.

Brazilian forward Raphinha scored twice, including the opener in the first half, taking advantage of a mistake by PSG’s goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma to net his first Champions League goal at the 37-minute mark.

PSG quickly turned the tables after halftime, with Ousmane Dembele and Vitinha scoring to give the Parisians a 2-1 advantage.

It was at this juncture that Xavi made a tactical masterstroke. In the 61st minute, he brought on Rodri and Joao Felix for Lamine Yamal and Sergi Roberto, a change that quickly paid off.

Pedri, just two minutes after coming on, lofted a perfect pass to Raphinha, who calmly finished past Donnarumma, drawing the teams level.

In the 76th minute, Xavi’s strategic acumen was on display again when he substituted Andreas Christensen and Ferran Torres for Frenkie de Jong and the key player Raphinha. Christensen scored with a header from a corner just a minute later, sealing a dramatic comeback for Barcelona.

“Pedri came on and helped us a lot. I’m very proud of the team. Christensen also came on and helped,” Xavi said. “Tactically we did really well.”

Since Xavi announced his departure from the team at the end of the season following a January defeat to Villarreal, Barcelona has been unbeaten in 12 matches across all competitions, a stark contrast to PSG’s previous unbeaten streak of 27 matches, which ended with this loss.

“We made things a bit difficult for ourselves. We managed to turn things around in the second half and could have had a third (goal),” PSG coach Luis Enrique said. “Everything’s still open for us and we will go there with ambition.”

The return leg is set for April 16th at Barcelona’s home ground.

Source(s): Xinhua

Continue Reading

Trending