Connect with us

Business

Airlines worldwide change flights over US 5G problem

Avatar

Published

on

The 5G issue appeared to particularly impact the Boeing 777, a long-range, wide-body aircraft used by carriers worldwide.

Airlines across the world have rushed to cancel or change flights heading into the US over an ongoing dispute about the rollout of 5G mobile phone technology near American airports.

Dubai-based Emirates, a key carrier for East-West travel, announced it would halt flights to Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Miami, Newark, New Jersey, Orlando, Florida, San Francisco and Seattle over the issue beginning Wednesday. It said it would continue flights to Los Angeles, New York and Washington.

The issue appeared to particularly impact the Boeing 777, a long-range, wide-body aircraft used by carriers worldwide. Two Japanese airlines directly named the aircraft as being particularly affected by the 5G signals as they announced cancellations and changes to their schedules.

In its announcement, Emirates cited the cancellation as necessary due to “operational concerns associated with the planned deployment of 5G mobile network services in the US at certain airports.”

“We are working closely with aircraft manufacturers and the relevant authorities to alleviate operational concerns, and we hope to resume our US services as soon as possible,” the state-owned airline said.

The United Arab Emirates successfully rolled out 5G coverage all around its airports without incident, like dozens of other countries.

But in the US, the Federal Aviation Administration worries that the C-Band strand of 5G could interfere with aviation equipment.

READ MORE: AT&T, Verizon delay 5G implementation at some US airports

Interfere with aircraft altimeters

Of particular concern in the 5G rollout appears to be the Boeing 777, a major workhorse for Emirates, which only flies that model and the Airbus A380 jumbo jet. Its Mideast competitor, Qatar Airways, anticipates “minor delays” on return flights from the US but says otherwise its dozen US routes are operating as scheduled.

Japan’s All Nippon Airways Co. Ltd. said in a statement that the FAA “has indicated that radio waves from the 5G wireless service may interfere with aircraft altimeters.” Altimeters measure how high a plane is in the sky, a crucial piece of equipment for flying.

“Boeing has announced flight restrictions on all airlines operating the Boeing 777 aircraft, and we have cancelled or changed the aircraft for some flights to/from the US based on the announcement by Boeing,” ANA said. It cancelled 20 flights to the US over the issue to cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles and New York.

Japan Airlines Co. Ltd. similarly said that it had been informed that 5G signals “may interfere with the radio altimeter installed on the Boeing 777.”

“We will refrain from using this model on the continental United States line until we can confirm its safety and we regret to inform you that we will cancel the flight for which the aircraft cannot be changed to the Boeing 787,” the airline said. Eight of its flights were affected Wednesday — three passenger trips and five for cargo.

Chicago-based Boeing Co. did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Air India also announced on Twitter it would cancel flights to Chicago, Newark, New York and San Francisco “due to deployment of the 5G communications” equipment. It said it would try to use other aircraft on US routes as well.

The cancellations come even after mobile phone carriers AT&T and Verizon will postpone new wireless service near some US airports planned for this week.

The FAA will allow planes with accurate, reliable altimeters to operate around high-power 5G. But planes with older altimeters will not be allowed to make landings under low-visibility conditions.

READ MORE: US airlines warn of ‘chaos’ if 5G allowed near airports

Source: AP

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

G7 countries pledge to end fossil-fuel financing abroad

Avatar

Published

on

By

The pledge still allows for some “limited” exceptions of fossil-fuel financing so long as they are consistent with the 2015 Paris pact to curb global temperature increases.

Japan for the first time joined fellow members of the Group of Seven industrialised nations in pledging to end public financing for fossil fuel projects abroad by the end of the year to help combat global warming.

“We commit to end new direct public support for the international unabated fossil fuel energy sector by the end of 2022,” G7 energy and climate ministers said in a joint statement following talks in Berlin on Friday.

The term “unabated” refers to projects that do not employ techniques to offset some of the pollution caused by carbon dioxide emissions.

Ending subsidies for the international fossil fuel energy sector was already part of a series of commitments agreed to by around 20 countries at last year’s COP26 climate summit in Glasgow.

Six of the G7 club of rich nations were among the signatories at the time  Britain, Canada, Germany, France, Italy and the United States – but Japan had resisted until now.

“It is good that Japan, the world’s largest financier of fossil fuels, has now joined the other G7 countries in making a shared commitment to end overseas fossil fuel financing,” said Alden Meyer, senior associate at climate policy think tank E3G.

READ MORE: COP26: Several nations pledge to end overseas fossil fuel finance

Friday’s pledge still allows for some “limited” exceptions of fossil-fuel financing so long as they are consistent with the 2015 Paris pact to curb global temperature increases. But Meyer said countries wishing to do so would face “a very stiff bar to clear”.

At their G7 talks, ministers also committed to largely end the use of fossil fuels in their electricity sectors by 2035, despite heavy tensions in the power market over Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

“We further commit to a goal of achieving predominantly decarbonised electricity sectors by 2035,” they said.

READ MORE: UN: World to be hit harder by disasters in coming years

Clean energy transition

To achieve this, member states promised to ramp up “the necessary technologies and policies for the clean energy transition” and accelerate the phase-out of coal.

The pledge was welcomed by environmental campaigners, at a time when the war in Ukraine has sent energy prices soaring and Western countries are scrambling to wean themselves off Russian imports.

“In a very difficult geopolitical situation, the G7 are united behind an end to fossil fuels by 2035 in the power sector. This is significant progress,” said David Ryfisch of the Germanwatch environmental group.

Speaking at the closing press conference, German Energy Minister Robert Habeck welcomed the pledges made by G7 nations, saying they sent a “strong signal for more climate protection”.

As well as a pledge to stop bankrolling fossil fuel projects abroad by the end of the year, Habeck highlighted the club’s agreement to ditch all “inefficient fossil fuel subsidies” by 2025.

READ MORE: Erdogan: Turkey signed $3.2 billion green climate fund deal

Source: TRT World 

Continue Reading

Business

FSM adds two barges to its fuel carrier fleet

Avatar

Published

on

By

Fuel Supplies Maldives (FSM) has added two new barges to its fuel carrier fleet.

FSM had contracted an Egyptian company in 2019 to build four new barges to add to its fuel carrier fleet. Two of these barges were brought to the Maldives at the end of last month.

Speaking to PSM News, Managing Director of FSM Mohamed Qasam said the new barges have joined the fuel supply operations of FSM. Qasam revealed the new barges are able to carry 260,000 litres of fuel at a time. He said the new barges have greatly increased the capacity of the company’s fuel supply operations in the country. He added two more barges are expected to arrive in the Maldives within the next two months.

The two new barges added to FSM’s fleet have been named MV Hunike and MV Bureki. The two barges join a fleet of 18 barges used to supply fuel to the atolls.

In addition, FSM also operates a fuel tanker, capable of carrying 8.5 million litres of fuel.

Source: psmnews

Continue Reading

Business

New blockchain Luna 2.0 set to launch after collapse erases billions

Avatar

Published

on

By

Many cryptocurrency exchanges such as gate.io, Bitfinex, FTX, Huobi, and Bitrue will support the new blockchain, says the creator of the network.

A new blockchain called Luna 2.0 is set to launch on Friday to replace the current Terra Luna crypto network after the latter’s collapse erased billions of dollars to hurt millions of investors.

Terra Daily, which provides daily news about the network, announced on Wednesday on its official Twitter account that a proposal “to rename the existing network Terra Classic (LUNC), and rebirth a new Terra blockchain (LUNA) has officially passed!”

Do Kwon, the creator of the network and CEO of TerraForm Labs, also said on Twitter that many cryptocurrency exchanges will support the new blockchain Luna 2.0, such as gate.io, Bitfinex, FTX, Huobi, and Bitrue.

The price of cryptocurrency Terra Luna plummeted in recent weeks, trading at $0.0001578 around 0820 GMT on Thursday, from $92.31 a month ago.

Its sibling UST, which was initially designed to be pegged one-to-one with the US dollar, was at $0.09079 at the time.

Terra Luna’s price collapse is estimated to have caused crypto investors to lose around $40 billion, also sending a shockwave across the global crypto market that saw more than $1 trillion evaporating in just six weeks.

READ MORE: What are stablecoins and how did they trigger a crypto market crash?

Source: TRT World

Continue Reading

Trending