Connect with us

News

ACC denies viral list claimed to have been compiled following probe as theirs

FI

Published

on

Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) has denied that the list – viral on social media – claimed to have been compiled by the commission following their probe into applications of flat recipients deemed eligible under ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme was compiled by the commission.

A list comprising of applicants who have been deemed ineligible for the first 4,000 flats under the ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme which was claimed to have been compiled by ACC went viral on social media on Sunday.

As per ACC, information regarding a list they had compiled in light of their findings over the course of the investigation has only been shared with the Housing Ministry and the Parliament’s Committee on Independent Institutions so far.

The commission, underscoring important observations that had taken note of during the investigation had been shared during a press briefing held regarding the case, stressed that no further information regarding the case nor any related documents have been shared with any party by the commission nor any of its staff.

They described the circulation of misinformation on social media which would spark anger amongst the public in such a case that is directly linked to the interest of the people as a backward and irresponsible act.

“The information that needs to be disclosed to the public regarding cases under investigation by the commission will be shared through the commission’s official social media accounts and official statements issued to media outlets,” the statement read.

ACC cited their highest priority as upholding the law and protecting the interests of the public while providing complete assurance that their investigations will not be influenced to any extent by any party.

The publication of the list of the recipients of 4,000 flats developed by Fahi Dhiri Ulhun Corporation (FDC) in Hulhumale’ triggered protests from the public over the point allocation. A total of 325 complaints were submitted to ACC over the list, following which they launched a criminal investigation into the matter.

ACC had previously ordered the suspension of issuance of flats, but lifted the suspension on February 1, instructing the Housing Ministry to abide by certain rules while issuing the flats.

Housing Ministry, in a statement on Saturday, said ACC, following their investigation, sent a list of forms to the Ministry on Thursday, which have identified as eligible applicants with no further issues.

As per the statement, the list of forms has been formulated based on information obtained for investigation purposes. Therewith, the Ministry said they are working to declare the list of applicants eligible to receive flats under the ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme.

This had sparked concern from the public, fearing that the new administration would revoke the existing list of flat recipients.

Although ACC has greenlighted the issuance of the flats, in an earlier press briefing, they said 59.6 percent of the people who were listed as recipients of flats are ineligible to receive flats under ‘Gedhoruveriya’ scheme.

Housing Ministry states they will be moving forward with flat issuance in accordance with counsel provided by ACC and the Attorney General’s Office.

Source(s): sun.mv

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

President announces a mega project to establish Island Council Secretariats in fifty islands within the year

FI

Published

on

By

President Dr Mohamed Muizzu has announced a mega project to establish buildings to house the Island Council Secretariats on fifty islands within the year. He made the announcement while meeting the residents of HDh. Makunudhoo Island.

The President detailed that the buildings to house the Island Council Secretariats on fifty islands would be built under the Investor Finance Model. He stated that the fifty islands for the project would be selected based on the severity of the deterioration of the existing facilities that house the councils.

President Dr Muizzu reiterated his commitment to fully realising the autonomous functioning of the decentralised administration of the Administrative Divisions. Additionally, he expressed his intention to collaborate closely with the public.

The President further announced plans to extend Makunudhoo Airport’s runway to 1800 meters. He emphasised that the land reclamation project for the island would be strategically designed to foster development across the island. Furthermore, he added that the road construction project will be executed per his commitment.

Source(s): President’s Office

Continue Reading

News

Maldives stresses lack of funds for sustainable food

FI

Published

on

By

The Maldives has emphasised that the primary obstacle for small nations like itself in advancing towards a sustainable food production system is the lack of financial resources. The remarks were delivered by Minister of Agriculture and Animal Welfare Dr. Aishath Rameela, during her address at the 37th Regional Conference for Asia and the Pacific of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) Ministerial Meeting.

In her participation as a panelist during the session, Minister Rameela delved into the challenges and potential strategies for attaining food security amidst environmental adversities encountered by small developing nations such as the Maldives, exacerbated by insufficient resources. In addition, she presented a ‘Country Statement’ on behalf of the Food and Agriculture Authority of the Maldives, outlining the agricultural and fisheries sectors’ status and the country’s requirements for support in these domains.

Within the statement, President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu underscored the obstacles to agricultural, fisheries, and mariculture development, along with the ongoing efforts to implement policies aimed at alleviating these hindrances and enhancing food security and nutritional conditions within the country. He also highlighted the necessity for regional cooperation and assistance in bolstering the agricultural, fisheries, and mariculture sectors.

During discussions revolving around transitioning to sustainable food production and consumption systems, Minister Rameela reiterated that the foremost challenge for small nations like the Maldives in achieving such a shift lies in the insufficient allocation of financial resources. She further urged financially affluent countries to extend support to small island nations like the Maldives.

The biennially held largest conference on food and agriculture in the Asia Pacific region is slated to take place in Pakistan in 2026.

Source(s): PsmNews

Continue Reading

News

President rejects legislature to postpone Majlis election

FI

Published

on

By

President Dr. Mohamed Muizzu has rejected legislature passed by the Parliament seeking to postpone the upcoming parliamentary elections to after Ramadan.

A top government spokesperson told that the president rejected the bill because changing the election date would result in “loss of public trust.”

He said the decision was based on five factors. Which is:

  • Because the bill requires the publication of national ID card numbers when the voter’s list is published on the Government Gazette, which the administration considers private information.
  • The lack of details on the appointment or qualification of “focal points” who must be arranged by the Elections Commission and charged with significant responsibilities under the bill.
  • With reference to Article 79 (b) of the constitution, which states that all election-related matters must be completed 30 days before the term of the incumbent parliamentary assembly expires. The administration believes the bill opens room to finish all election-related matters ahead of the time stipulated in the constitution, making the provision unconstitutional.
  • Article 75 of the constitution stipulates that parliamentarians must act in the best interest of the nation. But the administration believes there is grounds to believe that some of the parliamentarians, who are running for re-election, are acting in their own interest in changing the election date.

Because altering the Elections Act and changing the election date would result in loss of public confidence in the election

MDP: There’s still room for post-Ramadan Majlis elections

The decision came after Ahmed Easa, the manager for the main opposition MDP’s parliamentary elections campaign, said there was still an opportunity to postpone the upcoming elections, to after Ramadan.

The decision comes after Ahmed Easa, the manager for the main opposition MDP’s parliamentary elections campaign, said there was still an opportunity to postpone the upcoming elections, to after Ramadan.

In a press briefing on Monday morning, Easa, who serves as the parliamentary representative for Kendhikulhudhoo, reiterated MDP’s assertion, that the vast majority of the public want the elections to be held after Ramadan.

He said that Ramadan is a hard month to hold political activities, and that a low voter turnout is of great concern to political parties.

The parliamentary elections is scheduled for March 17th – which falls within the first week of Ramadan.

The Elections Commission (EC) had pushed for legal reforms to hold the elections ahead of Ramadan, as the Elections Act requires the commission to initiate the process of holding the elections, at least 120 days before the end of the term of the incumbent parliamentary assembly – which is May 28th.

Holding the elections before or ahead of Ramadan, required legal amendments.

The Parliament – which MDP holds a majority in – rejected EC’s request to hold the elections ahead of Ramadan, opting instead to have the elections held after the holy month.

An MDP-sponsored bill banning national elections during Ramadan passed with a majority vote of 46 to 3, on February 11th.

According to the new bill, if an election date falls within Ramadan, it must be held 10 days after Ramadan ends.

The president had until Wednesday, to either ratify or reject the bill.

But on Monday afternoon, within hours after MDP’s press briefing, the President’s Office announced that President Muizzu had rejected the legislature, and sent it back to the Parliament.

The MDP had anticipated the move.

The party warned last week that it will pass the same bill again, with a greater majority, if the president refused to ratify the bill, which will result in the automatic ratification of the bill.

Source(s): sun.mv

Continue Reading

Trending